Located on the beautiful Barrington river in Barrington RI, the BYC offers yachting facilities that are among the finest on Narragansett Bay. Barrington Yacht club is hiring a Head Instructor for 2018!!
Our members enjoy a full range of services including a complete yacht Racing program for sailors of all abilities and boats of all classes, year round Social Events, and four Cruises each year to various New England ports of call.
Facilities available to our members include the club house and marina (open year-round), as well as the pool, Dana Rice building, and snack bar (open June – September). Slips and moorings are available to transient non-members for a fee, on a space available basis. Our fuel dock is available to both members and non-members.
Our Club has a long tradition of strong family orientation, which is exhibited by our Junior Activities and superb Sail Training programs. These programs are indicative of our commitment to the development of our young people into becoming outstanding yachtsmen and sportsmen, as well as our belief that yachting is an activity to be enjoyed by the entire family.
An Active Membership
In addition to the social and racing activities, the club encourages all members to participate on various committees. The Club has a Board of Governors with standing committees such as: House Committee, Finance Committee, Race Committee, Publications Committee, Social Committee, Membership Committee, Junior Activities Committee, Sail Training Committee and Cruise Committee.
The chairs of these working committees are always interested in having new members volunteer to help out. These committees are largely responsible for the success of the club’s programs.
Making Continuous Improvements
Every year the Club invests a great deal of time and financial resources to upgrade our facility and improve our operations so that we can provide the best in services to our membership. Dock rebuilding, new boats and equipment, galley and bar upgrades are all part of the annual plan to keep our club in excellent condition.
A Rich History
The Barrington Yacht Club was incorporated on March 25, 1908. The object of the club, as stated in the bylaws, is to foster the sport of yachting and to provide suitable facilities and activities for both its social and yachting member families. For more details about the history of our club, please read the articles in the Club History section.
The Barrington Yacht Club was incorporated on March 25, 1908. Arthur L. Smith was the first elected Commodore. The Club must have been a success right from the start, as there were 218 members reported by August 1909. Unfortunately, most of those names were never recorded, but they all paid their $5 dollar dues.
The Club’s first function was held July 11, 1908 on the river in front of Commodore Smith’s home. Members were “at liberty to invite friends, including ladies. More than 500 people lined the shore and witnessed the “Parade of Sail”. Upwards of 100 boats of every description rode at anchor or sailed about.The first social event was a “Social and Ladies Night” held at the Town Hall on November 7, 1908, to aid the New Clubhouse Building Fund. Dancing included waltzes, two steps, a cotillion and Schottische.
A Clubhouse Committee was appointed in December to locate a site and submit a plan. In March, 1909 land on “Mathewson Bend” (corner of Mathewson Road and Chapin Road) was leased. Shares of the BYC Building Association were created to finance the Clubhouse at $10 dollars each.On August 20, 1909 the Original Clubhouse was dedicated. Abbott Gardiner was hired as Steward for $1 per day.